- Postdoctoral: University of California, Los Angeles, Regulation of Pre-mRNA Splicing.
- PhD: Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore.
- Wongpalee S, Vashist A, Sharma S, Wohlschlegel J and Black DL. Large-scale remodeling of a repressed exon ribonucleoprotein to an exon definition complex active for splicing, eLife 2016. 5:e19743
- Keppetipola N, Yeom K-H, Hernandez AL, Bui T, Sharma S and Black DL. Multiple determinants of splicing repression activity in the polypyrimidine tract binding proteins, PTBP1 and PTBP2. RNA Jun 10, 2016. PMCID: PMC4931110
- Sharma S, Wongpalee S, Vashist A, Wohlschlegel J and Black DL. Stem-loop 4 of U1 snRNA is essential for splicing and interacts with the U2 snRNP specific SF3A1 protein during spliceosome assembly. Genes and Development 28, 2014, 2518-31. PMCID: PMC4233244
- Somarelli, JA, Mesa A, Rodriguez CE, Sharma S and Herrera RJ. U1 small nuclear RNA variants differentially form ribonucleoprotein particles in vitro, Gene 540, 11-15, 2014. PMCID: PMC3997572
- Sharma S, Maris C, Allain F H-T and Black DL. U1 snRNA directly interacts with polypyrimidine tract binding protein during splicing repression, Mol.Cell 2011. 41, 579-88.
For a complete listing of Dr. Sharma's publications, search PubMed.
Pre-mRNA splicing, acute myeloid leukemia, myelodysplastic syndromes
The Sharma lab focuses on understanding the role of splicing factor mutations in the pathogenesis of myeloid malignancies, including acute myeloid leukemia, myelodysplastic syndrome and chronic myelomonocytic leukemia. The goal is to determine the impact of splicing factor mutations on proliferation and myeloid differentiation of human hematopoietic stem cells, as well as to identify mutation-induced aberrations in pre-RNA splicing and protein expression that can be targeted for therapy.