Here, senior faculty members serving as mentors may find numerous resources to enhance the mentoring experience. The resources provided range from information on the benefits of faculty mentoring, best practices for mentors, and the advantages and disadvantages of the various types of mentoring styles. The College of Medicine – Phoenix encourages faculty mentors to become well acquainted with the various resources provided to them to enable meaningful mentoring experiences.
Faculty Mentoring Toolkit
The Faculty Mentoring Toolkit (PDF) is comprised of the essential documents faculty members need for their mentoring partnership to be successful. The documents contained therein are:
- Faculty Mentor Partnering Agreement.
- Individual Development Plan (IDP).
- Mentoring Meeting Journal.
Prior to the first meeting, the Individual Development Plan should be filled out by the mentee and brought to that meeting to be reviewed with the mentor. The Mentor/Mentee Partnering Agreement should be filled out together and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also bring it to Jonathan Snyder in the Office of Faculty Affairs and Development.
Reading and Resources
- Benefits of Faculty Mentoring (PDF).
- Best Practices for Mentors (PDF).
- Characteristics of a Mentor/Mentee (PDF).
- Constructive Relationship Advice for Mentors and Mentees (PDF).
- Diversity Issues in Mentoring (PDF).
- The Goal of Faculty Mentoring (PDF).
- Mentoring Roles – Dos and Don'ts (PDF).
- Types of Mentoring – Advantages and Disadvantages (PDF).
Promotion and Tenure
- Promotion and Tenure guidelines for the UA College of Medicine – Phoenix.