The Critical Care Selective exposes the student to a broad experience in the care of critically ill patients. It occurs in a licensed critical care unit (e.g., a medical intensive care unit (ICU), surgical ICU, cardiac care unit, neonatal ICU, pediatric ICU, or similar unit), is full-time, and involves “on-call,” overnight, or after-hours experiences.
- Syllabus (PDF).
Goals of the rotation include:
- Perform and document a complete history and physical exam on the critically ill patient; interpret laboratory and pertinent data; provide an assessment and critical care treatment plan.
- Provide 24 hour patient summaries of critically ill patients at daily rounds, including previous and upcoming treatment plans, including the following:
- Identification of Problem(s)
- History and pertinent finding on Physical Exam
- Differential diagnosis of each problem, including interrelationships
- Identification of significant hemodynamic parameters
- Identification of significant laboratory values
- Formulation of management plan
- Demonstrate understanding of the management of ventilatory support measures in critically ill patients (including weaning).
- Demonstrate understanding of hemodynamic management and therapy in the critically ill patient, including the application and appropriate use of invasive monitoring modalities.
- Demonstrate understanding of neurocritical care and the management of traumatic brain injury, intracranial hemorrhage, and other intracranial pathology.
- Demonstrate ability to manage critical infectious processes, with emphasis on the prevention and treatment of nosocomial infections.
- Demonstrate ability to diagnose and treat metabolic derangements in critically ill patients, including renal failure, electrolyte abnormalities, and acid-base abnormalities.
- Demonstrate sensitivity to the concerns of patients and their families surrounding critical illness, including quality of life and end of life issues.
- Demonstrate appreciation and respect for other professionals by appropriately responding to consultative and support services.