Division of Geriatric Medicine 2nd Annual Symposium: A “How-To” For Age Friendly Care
Friday, June 3, 2022 8:00 AM to 1:30 PM
In collaboration with the Banner Health Foundation and Arizona Geriatrics Society, the University of Arizona College of Medicine – Phoenix Department of Internal Medicine and Division of Geriatrics and Palliative Care at Banner – University Medical Center Phoenix, present their 2nd Annual Symposium: A “How-To” For Age Friendly Care. It will address the current landscape of geriatrics models of care in the foreground of Age Friendly Health Systems initiative. The program committee has worked hard to create an exciting program which will showcase work of national leaders in the field of geriatric and palliative medicine.
This symposium will be held in a hybrid format. Those who cannot attend in-person will be able to join online.
Location and Time
- Virtually via Zoom Video Communications.
- Banner – University Medical Center Phoenix, 1111 E. McDowell Rd., Phoenix 85006.
- 8:00 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. MST.
Topics and Speakers
- 8:00 to 9:00 a.m. – Patient Priorities Care with Marry Tinetti, MD.
- Part of the Department of Internal Medicine Grand Rounds.
- 9:00 to 10:00 a.m. – Keynote Address: Innovative Models of Care in Geriatric Medicine and How to Market Them with Lisa Walke, MD.
- 10:00 to 11:00 a.m. – Communication Masterclass with Shunichi Nakagawa, MD, Kristina Balangue, MD.
- 11:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. – Delirium Masterclass with Aroonsiri Howell, MD.
- 15-minute break.
- 12:15 to 1:15 p.m. – Writing a Business Case Masterclass with Nimit Agarwal, MD.
- 1:15 to 1:30 p.m. – Event wrap up.
- Summarize the current landscape of new innovative geriatrics models of care.
- Describe medical, psychological, social, and rehabilitative (interprofessional/interdisciplinary) interventions to improve the care of hospitalized older patients with multi-complexity.
- Apply advanced communication skills to effectively elicit patient priorities and then align SMART goals, to provide personalized care to older adults.
- Identify pragmatic techniques for managing highly challenging geriatric syndromes such as delirium using an interdisciplinary approach.
- Formulate skills to write successful business proposals in geriatric and palliative medicine to win over your administrative team.
- Physicians – Banner is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians. Banner Health designates this live internet activity for a maximum of 5.0 AMA PRA category 1 credit. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- Social Workers – 5.0 credits, NASWAZ Continuing Education (CE) Credit.
- Nursing Workers – 5.0 credits, Continuing Education Credit.
- Case Managers – 5.0 credits, Continuing Medical Education.
- Pharmacy CE – 2.00 credits, Pharmacy CE.
Certificate of participation will be given to nurses, pharmacists and all others.