The University of Arizona utilizes VSAS, the Visiting Student Application Service, to receive visiting student applications. VSAS is an AAMC application designed to make it easier for medical students to apply for senior electives at U.S. medical schools and teaching hospitals. To apply to our school, please complete a VSAS application for your preferred electives and dates. Applications may be submitted through VSAS starting on April 15 for the upcoming academic year. For more information on VSAS, please visit www.aamc.org/vsas or contact VSAS at @email or 202-478-9878.
- Space Availability: Participation in any fourth year elective will be allowed on a space-available basis with The University of Arizona medical students receiving priority placement in the elective.
- Limitation of Credit/Weeks: Students may enroll for a maximum of 18 weeks.
- Student Status: Students must be in their final year of medical school and have completed all core clerkship courses at the time of the scheduled elective.
- Malpractice Insurance: Proof of professional medical liability with coverage amounts NO LESS THAN $1,000,000/claim and $3,000,000/aggregate must be submitted with the VSAS application (either a copy of the current certificate indicating policy amounts or a letter of proof from your school indicating policy amounts).
- Immunizations: Students must include with their VSAS application: (1) proof of immunization (since 1980) against measles and rubella, (2) a recent TB test (within 1 year of elective start date), (3) documentation of Hepatitis B vaccination or a signed declination form.
- Personal Health Insurance: Students must include with their application proof of personal health insurance (upload copy of insurance card in VSAS).
- Please complete the required UA Exposure and Confidentiality forms (PDF).
- Application Fee: There is a small, one-time application fee to apply to all University of Arizona College of Medicine – Phoenix electives. There is also a NON-REFUNDABLE processing fee of $125.00 PER ACCEPTED ELECTIVE OFFER, due three weeks before the elective start date. Please make checks or money orders payable to: The University of Arizona. Cash will not be accepted.
- Completion: All the above documents and requirements must be met and submitted to VSAS in order for your application to be considered complete and available for consideration.
- Application Processing: Once you have submitted your VSAS application, the department coordinator at the clinical site will either accept and schedule your rotation or will deny your application. You will receive notification from VSAS once a decision has been made. If you have questions regarding an elective or availability, please contact the coordinator listed under the elective “comments” section.
- Housing: We do not have housing on our campus. We suggest that our VSAS students find a furnished short-term residence, if needed.