Dear College of Medicine – Phoenix Community:
In response to the brutal killing of George Floyd and the subsequent social unrest, our college has sought and welcomed feedback from our community about the ways that we may address structural racism. We are grateful to everyone who engaged and provided input toward developing actionable items.
These opportunities for interaction included:
- June 2 – 5, more than 100 faculty, students, staff, residents and fellows participated in Dialogue Sessions led by the Office of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion.
- June 11, the newly formed Black Alumni Association sent a statement (PDF) to the college and other university leaders; and the Diversity Committee and Inclusive Excellence Champions met to provide additional insight.
- June 15, students penned an open letter to the college community.
- June 16, senior leaders met with the Black Alumni Association.
- June 18, senior leaders met to discuss actionable steps.
Feedback from all parties revealed themes related to improvements recommended in the areas of:
- Compositional Diversity.
- Education and Research.
The insight from all groups, and in particular our Black/African American colleagues, were invaluable in articulating our 12 Action Steps Toward Inclusive Excellence.
While not a panacea, we will work with our community toward accomplishing these 12 Action Steps, as they capture the recommendations from our meetings about how to make meaningful progress toward Inclusive Excellence. These steps also complement ongoing efforts and achievements (PDF) from the college and the Office of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion that are articulated in our five-year Inclusive Excellence Strategic Plan (PDF).
We will convene workgroups, guided by respective leaders from the college, to address the 12 Action Steps and implement appropriate measures. Some action steps will be accomplished quickly while others will take time. All members of the college community are encouraged to lend their voice and insights to these workgroups. Let us know of your interest to participate.
The college is fully committed to these action steps and will give quarterly updates on progress beginning September 2020. The growth and evolution of the college will require effort from us all to address the deeply ingrained systemic racism. Together, we will work toward and build a more inclusive tomorrow.
Guy L. Reed, MD, MS
Dean and Valley of the Sun Professor
UArizona College of Medicine – Phoenix
Francisco Lucio, JD
Associate Dean, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion