- PhD: The University of Arizona.
- Xu H, Wang Y, Zhao J, Jurutka PW, Huang D, Liu L, Zhang L, Wang S, Chen Y and Cheng S. Triterpenes from Poria cocos are revealed as potential retinoid X receptor selective agonists based on cell and in silico evidence. Chemical Biology and Drug Design, 2020, 95:493-502. https://doi.org/10.1111/cbdd.13610.
- Jurutka PW and Wagner CE. Methods to assess activity and potency of rexinoids using rapid luciferase-based Assays: A case study with NEt-TMN. Methods Mol Biol., 2019:95-108. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4939-9585-1_7.
- Zhang D, Leal AS, Carapellucci S, Shahani PH, Bhogal JS, Ibrahim S, Raban S, Jurutka PW, Marshall PA, Sporn MB, Wagner CE and Liby KT. Testing novel pyrimidinyl rexinoids: A new paradigm for evaluating rexinoids for cancer prevention. Cancer Prevention Research, 2019, 12:211-224. https://doi.org/10.1158/1940-6207.CAPR-18-0317.
- Sabir MS, Haussler MR, Mallick S, Kaneko I, Lucas DA, Haussler CA, Whitfield GK and Jurutka PW. Optimal vitamin D spurs serotonin: 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D represses serotonin reuptake transport (SERT) and degradation (MAO-A) gene expression in cultured rat serotonergic neuronal cell lines. Genes and Nutrition, 2019, 13:19-30. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12263-018-0605-7.
- Dussik CM, Hockley M, Grozic A, Kaneko I, Zhang L, Sabir MS, Park J, Wang J, Nickerson CA, Yale SH, Rall CJ, Foxx-Orenstein AE, Borror CM, Sandrin TR and Jurutka PW. Gene expression profiling and assessment of vitamin D and serotonin pathway variations in patients with irritable bowel syndrome. Journal of Neurogastroenterology and Motility, 2018, 24:96-106. http://dx.doi.org/10.5056/jnm17021.
For a complete listing of Dr. Jurutka's publications, search PubMed.
Cancer, nutraceuticals, healthy aging
The Jurutka laboratory applies molecular medicine approaches to elucidate fundamental questions in human health and disease, including: 1. mechanistic effects of "nutraceuticals" on anti-aging gene expression and chemoprevention, 2. elucidation of genetic "fingerprints" for diagnosis/treatment of irritable bowel syndrome, 3. rexinoid drug design/discovery to develop pharmaceuticals for treatment of cancer and Alzheimer’s disease and 4. neurobiology of vitamin D action in autism and depression.