The Clinical Translational Sciences (CTS) Graduate Program is designed to provide a strong foundation in clinical translational sciences, either for post-baccalaureate students, including MD/PhD students, or postgraduate students already granted a terminal degree in a health science-related field (e.g., MD, DPharm, DrPH, DNP, etc.). The CTS Graduate Program offers access to research opportunities in the various University of Arizona Health Sciences Colleges, with MS and PhD degree options. Ongoing research topics in Phoenix and the faculty research facilities and researchers are listed below.
Applied NanoBioscience and Medical Device Development
- Gu, Jian – Microfluidics, nanofabrication.
- Peyman, Gholam – Platform development, medical devices.
- Zenhausern, Frederic – Nanobiomedicine, radiodosimetry.
- Gladysheva, Inna – Cardiomyopathy and heart failure.
- Gonzales, Rayna – Cardiovascular disease and stroke.
- Hale, Taben – Cardiovascular pharmacology.
- Reed, Guy – Thromboembolism, stroke and heart failure
Health Promotion and Nursing
- Debbie Williams – Health promotion and outcomes.
Immunology and Host-Microbe Interactions
- Boehmer, Paul – Virology and mutagenesis.
- Gustin, Kurt – Virology and infectious disease.
- Hastings, Karen – Skin cancer, antigen processing and autoimmunity.
- Herbst-Kralovetz, Melissa – Innate mucosal immunity, vaginal microbiome, women’s health.
- Stull, Terry – Reverse vaccinology approaches to bacterial vaccines.
Lung Biology and Pulmonary Medicine
- Dai, Zhiyu – Vascular biology and pulmonary hypertension.
- Knox, Kenneth – Bronchoalveolar lavage and immunologic lung disease.
- Wang, Ting – Lung endothelial cell biology and genetics.
ASU School of Nutrition
Neuroscience and Neuropsychiatric Disorders
- Anderson, Trent – Epilepsy, migraine, traumatic brain injury.
- Bowser, Robert – ALS, biomarkers.
- Brafman, David – iPSCs, Alzheimer’s Disease.
- Ferguson, Deveroux – Major depression, epigenetic mechanisms, stress.
- Gallitano, Amelia – Schizophrenia, stress, neurogenomics.
- Hammer, Ron – Stress, schizophrenia, drug abuse.
- Kruer, Michael – Pediatric movement disorders, cerebral palsy, neurogenetics.
- Lifshitz, Jonathan – Traumatic brain injury.
- Mirzadeh, Zaman – Neural stem cells, type 2 diabetes, energy balance, obesity.
- Nikulina, Ella – Stress, drug abuse.
- Qiu, Shenfeng – Developmental neurobiology, autism, epilepsy.
- Sattler, Rita – ALS, frontotemporal dementia, human induced pluripotent stem cells.
- Thomas, Theresa – Traumatic brain injury.
- Wu, Jie – Epilepsy, drug abuse.
Oncology and Cancer Biology
- Cance, William – Cancer signaling, therapeutic discovery and translational research.
- Hastings, Karen – Skin cancer.
- Herbst-Kralovetz, Melissa – Epithelial-microbiota interactions, gynecologic cancer.
- Kim, Suwon – Tumor suppressor genes, neuroblastoma and lung cancer.
- Marlowe, Tim - Therapeutic discovery and molecular analysis.
- Sharma, Shalini – Splicing factor mutations in myeloid malignancies/leukemia.
- Wetmore, Cynthia.
UA College of Pharmacy and Pharmacogenomics
- Cropp, Cheryl – Pharmacogenomics determinants of health disparities.
- Urbine, Terry – Health care economics, health outcomes.