There are nine (9) mandatory conferences for which fellows are excused from clinical duties. Each conference is designed to explore endocrine disorders or topics in greater depth.
- Endocrinology Board Review – Review of current Endocrinology Self-Assessment Program (ESAP) questions. Fellows, residents and attending physicians answer and discuss endocrinology board review questions.
- Didactic Core Conferences – Held weekly and cover a core curriculum in endocrinology in both basic science and clinical endocrinology. Fellows learn the basic biochemistry, physiology and pathophysiology of the endocrine system. The goal of this conference is to review topics in general endocrinology, reproductive endocrinology and pediatric endocrinology every 24 months, as well as to improve test-taking skills in anticipation of becoming board-certified in Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism.
- Journal Club – Held weekly to expose trainees to critical reading of the endocrine literature.
- Fellows' Case Conference – A clinical case conference that occurs twice monthly and emphasizes in-depth investigation of pathophysiology or diagnostic and/or management issues as they relate to endocrinology.
- Research/Biostatistics Conference – Held monthly to acquaint trainees with principles of research methodology and data analysis prior to their required research rotation.
- Tumor Board Conference – This conference is held every month as part of endocrine academic day at Banner – University Medical Center Phoenix (BUMCP). It is a working conference to review endocrine tumor (malignant and non-malignant) cases among a multi-disciplinary team of endocrinologists, surgeons, oncologists, radiologists and pathologists.
- Neurosurgery Pituitary Conference – A joint conference with neurosurgeons from Barrow Neurological Institute and endocrinologists in the Phoenix-metro area that is held monthly to discuss difficult pituitary cases, pituitary pathophysiology or pituitary disorders.
- Endocrine Grand Rounds – This conference is held monthly at the VA to acquaint the endocrine section members with up-to-date topics that pertain to the practice of endocrinology or endocrine research. Speakers are mostly local faculty or guests. This conference is 50 percent clinical, 50 percent basic science.
- Insulin Pump Conference – This conference, held at the VA, is an interactive conference led by an expert in insulin pump and continuous glucose monitor therapy.