Applying to the MD/PhD Program
All applications for the University of Arizona College of Medicine – Phoenix MD/PhD program are reviewed and considered through the American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS). For additional information and application process instructions please refer to our Admissions Process (deadline dates for the MD/PhD candidates supersede dates for MD candidates).
What to Expect
While completing your AMCAS application ensure to designate "Combined Medical Degree-PhD" to notify the University of Arizona College of Medicine – Phoenix of your interest in the MD/PhD Program.
The selection of this program will generate a prompt to complete two additional essays:
- Why are you interested in MD/PhD training?
- Highlight your significant research experiences.
Entry to the MD/PhD Program is decided by the Augmented MD/PhD Committee. Both in-state and out-of-state applicants will be considered, however, applicants must be U.S. citizens or hold a permanent resident vista status. International students are not eligible for admission to the program at this time.
All MD-PhD applications are reviewed by members of the Augmented MD/PhD Committee, with top-ranking candidates invited for an interview. Evaluation of applicants is based upon careful review of all application materials.
- All applicants to the MD/PhD Program are expected to have outstanding undergraduate grades (GPA of at least 3.5) and high scores on the Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT).
- Letters of recommendation from research supervisor(s) are an important component of the evaluation process. At least one and preferably two letters from research mentors should attest to the applicant’s abilities and commitment to research.
- Additionally, a minimum of one year in research experience is required. The goal of the program is to train the next generation of academic physician scientists. Therefore, an important factor in selecting MD/PhD applicants is evidence of a passion for research supported by substantial research experiences that have provided opportunities for independent and critical scientific thinking. A significant number of MD/PhD applicants have spent one or more years completing research, thus confirming their desire for a career in research. Consequently, it is recommended that MD/PhD candidates have at least one year of documented laboratory experience. Publications and/or presentations at national meetings are encouraged. Successful applicants will be those who recognize and are capable of meeting the demands and responsibilities of a MD/PhD program, which is at a minimum seven years in duration.
Following submission and review of applications MD/PhD interviews will be held on Monday, October 23, 2017 and Monday, November 27, 2017. If selected, you will be invited to visit the University of Arizona College of Medicine – Phoenix campus via email. MD and PhD interviews will be conducted separately but on the same day.
What to Expect
In the morning, applicants will take part of a Multi Mini-Interview process where results of these interviews are added to your MD portfolio. Your afternoons are reserved for PhD interviews that may be either individual or panel which will also be added to your portfolio to be reviewed by the Augmented MD/PhD Committee. Applicants will also have time to tour campus and will be invited to an informal dinner the night before the interview day providing an opportunity to socialize and learn more about the MD/PhD Program with students and/or members of the MD/PhD Admissions Subcommittee.
After the interviews each candidate is evaluated by the Augmented MD/PhD Committee and the top-scoring applicants offered positions in the program after final approval by the Admissions Committee. Students not immediately offered a position in the MD/PhD Program may be placed on an alternate list and notified of acceptance into the program at a later date. Students deemed non-competitive for the program will be notified immediately after final decisions are made.
The University of Arizona College of Medicine – Phoenix offers multiple opportunities to actively participate in research. Learn more about pursing your research interests and current research at the college.