- Postdoctoral Fellowship: Molecular Neuroscience and Psychiatric Genetics, Washington University School of Medicine, 2001 – 2007.
- Internship and Residency in Psychiatry: Columbia University and the New York State Psychiatric Institute, 1997 – 2001.
- PhD and MD: University of Pennsylvania, 1997.
- Huentelman MJ, Muppana L, Corneveaux JJ, Pruzin JJ, Reiman R, Borish CN, Ahmed A, De Both M, Todorov A, Cloninger CR, Dinu V, Zhang R, Ma J, Gallitano AL: Association of SNPs in EGR3 and ARC with schizophrenia supports a biological pathway for schizophrenia risk. PLOS ONE 2015; Oct 16;10(10). PMID:26474411
- Nie F, Wang X, Zhao P, Yang H, Zhu W, Zhao Y, Chen B, Valenzuela RK, Zhang R, Gallitano AL, Ma J: Genetic analysis of SNPs in CACNA1C and ANK3 gene with schizophrenia: A comprehensive meta-analysis. Am J Med Genet B Neuropsychiatr Genet 2015; 168(8):637-48. PMID:26227746
- Maple AM, Zhao X, Elizalde DI, McBride AK, Gallitano AL. Htr2a Expression Responds Rapidly to Environmental Stimuli in an Egr3-Dependent Manner. ACS Chem Neurosci. 2015 Apr 14. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 25857407
- Kurita M, Holloway T, García-Bea A, Kozlenkov A, Moreno JL, Heshmati M, Golden S, Kennedy PJ, Takahashi N, Dietz DM, Mocci G, Gabilondo AM, Hanks J, Umali A, Callado LF, Gallitano AL, Neve RL, Shen L, Buxbaum JD, Nestler EJ, Meana JJ, Russo SJ& González-Maeso J. HDAC2 regulates atypical antipsychotic responses through the modulation of mGlu2promoter activity. Nature Neuroscience 2012; 15(9):1245-54.
- Williams AA, Ingram WM, Levine S, Resnik J, Kamel CM, Lish J, Elizalde D, Janowski SA, Kozlenkov A, González-Maeso J, Gallitano AL: Reduced levels of serotonin 2A receptors underlie resistance of Egr3-deficient mice to locomotor suppression by clozapine. Neuropsychopharmacology 2012; 37(10):2285-98.
For a complete listing of Dr. Gallitano-Mendel's publications, search PubMed.
Molecular psychiatry, schizophrenia, gene-environment interactions
The Gallitano Lab investigates the molecular mechanisms underlying the dual genetic and environmental risk for neuropsychiatric illnesses such as schizophrenia and mood disorders. We focus on immediate early genes that are activated in the brain by environmental stimuli, including stress, and regulate processes disrupted in mental illnesses. Ongoing studies examine how Egr3 regulates effectors including Arc and the serotonin 2A receptor to influence synaptic plasticity, memory, and behavior.