Global Health Elective - Program Planning and Goals Check List
- Why do you want to do this?
- Do you enjoy cultural anthropology?
- What common medical problems do you want to examine?
- What responsibilities would you like?
- How are you going to communicate?
- Do you have any personal health risks?
- Who are your emergency contacts?
- Can you deal with missing home or cultural isolation?
4 MONTHS OUT:
- Where would you like to go?
- Determine the host site's expectations
- Submit your application (PDF) to email@example.com for further processing
- Obtain language training, if needed
- Contact 3-4 agencies to find out specifics and choose
- Determine the medical environment (lab, imaging, textbooks, medical supplies, etc.)
- Learn about country's culture and your personal safety
- Identify possible health risks
- Check for state department travel warnings
- Make travel plans
- Identify a preceptor at host site
- Review suggested readings (PDF) for international health
- What would you like to do?
- Specialty vs. primary care
- Hospital vs. clinic/home visits
2 MONTHS OUT:
- Acquire U of A COM-Phoenix paperwork (signatures in advance)
- Review personal and education objectives
- Make sure you are comfortable with:
- Own health coverage
- Liability insurance or lack thereof
- Need for emergency medical care
1 MONTH OUT:
- Confirm lodging and travel plans (tickets, in-country travel)
- Visit a travel clinic for vaccines, post-exposure prophylaxis, and /or malaria prophylaxis
- Read about he country and people (local anthropology, most prevalent health issues)
- Review faculty pre-departure checklist (1st meeting with Dr. Beyda)
2 WEEKS OUT:
- Reconfirm your educational plans (2nd meeting with Dr. Beyda)
- Packing list (PDF) (consider dress code for physicians, gender)
- Reconfirm travel and lodging arrangements
- Pack prophylactic meds
UPON YOUR RETURN:
- Summarize your experience in a written narrative essay
- Debriefing (3rd meeting with Dr. Beyda)
- Provide a written reflection
- PPD 3 months after you return
UA College of Medicine – PHOENIX REQUIREMENTS:
- Accident Insurance Form for Travel outside of the U.S.
- Release and Waiver of Liability Form for Rotations Outside of the U.S.
- Additional Emergency Medical Insurance
- Identify liability coverage
- Professional Agreement (PDF) for Elective
- Student Waiver (PDF)
- Medical evacuation insurance (PDF); it will be provided by UA College of Medicine – Phoenix