The University of Arizona College of Medicine – Phoenix application process is executed through WebAdMIT — an AAMC product. The Office of Admissions and Recruitment will notify the applicant when their AMCAS file has been received and invite those that meet the initial screen review to continue the application procedure. The application process is managed by AMP, a web-based solution powered by Zap Solutions, Inc.
To further understand our medical school timeline and procedures, we have noted important dates throughout our admission season, as well as outlined a step-by-step review of our application process.
|Interview season||August 2018–February 2019||August 2019–February 2020|
|Primary application deadline||October 15, 2018||October 15, 2019|
|Supplemental application and fee deadline||30 days after invitation or December 3, 2018||30 days after invitation or December 2, 2019|
|Final MCAT administration date accepted||September 8, 2018||September (TBD), 2019|
|Letters of recommendation due||December 3, 2018||December 2, 2019|
|Decisions announced (Affirmation Statement confirming terms of acceptance must be completed within two weeks of offer)||October 15, 2018 – March 18, 2019||October 15, 2019 – March 16, 2020|
|“Plan to Enroll” option for accepted students becomes available||February 15, 2019||February 17, 2020|
|Accepted students narrow offers to three medical schools (if applicable)||April 15, 2019||April 15, 2020|
|“Commit to Enroll” option for accepted students becomes available||April 30, 2019||April 30, 2020|
|“Commit to Enroll” to be selected by accepted students 21 days prior to Orientation||June 10, 2019||June 8, 2020|
|Orientation||July 1, 2019||June 29, 2020|
|First day of school||July 8, 2019||July 6, 2020|
Note: We are unable to grant extensions for those that miss the deadlines.
Step I: Primary Application
MD and MD/PhD applicants must complete and submit a primary application through AMCAS to be considered for admission to the school as "Regular MD" or “Combined Medical Degree/PhD” under the University of Arizona College of Medicine – Phoenix. The processing time for the AMCAS can take between several days to several weeks; therefore, students are encouraged to submit as early as possible, typically the first week of June. The University of Arizona College of Medicine – Phoenix reserves the right to request an investigation for any applicant who indicated "yes" to an Institutional Action on the verified AMCAS in order to more effectively evaluate the information.
Step II: Letters of Recommendation
The University of Arizona College of Medicine – Phoenix participates in the AMCAS Letter Service. The Admissions Committee requires a minimum of three letters (and recommends no more than five) from individuals with whom you have an established professional relationship and can clearly affirm the traits and characteristics desired in a physician. At least one letter from a recent clinical experience is highly recommended. Additional letters from individuals in a variety of settings are desired: employer, research lab supervisor, community service project leader, etc.
Step III: Supplemental Application
Step IV: Interview and Visit Campus
The Admissions Committee will have the opportunity to review the AMCAS, letters of recommendation and the supplemental application responses to render a decision: invite to interview, hold for possible interview or preliminary rejection. At least one letter of recommendation must be received before an applicant is reviewed for an interview.
Applicants will be invited to travel and learn more about our downtown Phoenix campus, academic programs and vast clinical training opportunities throughout Arizona. The interview day, also known as the Applicant Visit Day (AVD), consists of several opportunities to meet current students, faculty and leadership, as well as to learn about curricular and extra-curricular information. A component of the AVD will include the administration of the Multiple Mini-Interview (MMI).
Step V: Admissions Decision
Applicants to the MD program will begin receiving acceptance offers beginning mid-October through mid-March. Once notified, an applicant has two weeks to complete an Affirmation Statement to confirm the terms of the acceptance. At no time is a financial deposit required. An acceptance offer may be rescinded if any materials submitted above are not received or are known to be fraudulent or deceptive. Candidates for the entering class will be advised that matriculation is based upon the following conditions:
- Satisfactory completion of all required courses for admissions, as well as conferral of bachelor's degree.
- Ability to obtain an Arizona Department of Safety Fingerprint Clearance Card (FCC).
- Possess the capability to complete, with or without reasonable accommodations, the entire curriculum established by the college, which is required to achieve the MD or MD/PhD degree.
Step VI: The Decision Process
The College of Medicine – Phoenix follows the AAMC Application and Acceptance Protocols established by the AAMC. Applicants with multiple acceptance offers must make a final decision regarding their position at the college no later than April 30 of the year they plan to matriculate.
- Mid-October to mid-March: Decisions announced. For those accepted, an Affirmation Statement confirming terms of acceptance must be completed within two weeks of the offer. Failure to do so may result in the rescinding of the admission offer.
- February 15: “Plan to Enroll” option for accepted students becomes available. The University of Arizona College of Medicine – Phoenix highly recommends (but does not require) accepted students utilize this tool, as this assists us (and other medical schools) in ensuring we do not either over– or undersubscribe the amount of offers we extend.
- April 15: The AAMC Application and Acceptance Protocols recommends accepted students narrow offers to three medical schools (if applicable). The University of Arizona College of Medicine – Phoenix highly recommends (but does not require) accepted students follow this protocol.
- April 30: “Commit to Enroll” option for accepted students becomes available. From April 30 to 21 days prior to Orientation, The University of Arizona College of Medicine – Phoenix highly recommends (but does not require) accepted students utilize this tool when they are ready to commit and are withdrawing all other applications.
- 21 days prior to Orientation: “Commit to Enroll” is required to be selected by the accepted students matriculating to the University of Arizona College of Medicine – Phoenix. Failure to do so will result in the rescinding of the admission offer.
Step VII: Prepare to Transition into Medical School
Candidates for the entering class will be required to submit documentation pertinent to the start of school, including immunization records, proof of personal health insurance, official transcripts and other information to ensure a smooth transition.