- Postdoctoral: Neurobiology, UCLA, 1981.
- PhD: UCLA, 1980.
- Wang J, Bina RW, Wingard JC, Terwilliger EF, Hammer RP and Nikulina EM. Knockdown of tropomyosin-related kinase B receptor expression in the nucleus accumbens shell prevents intermittent social defeat stress-induced cross-sensitization to amphetamine in rats. Europ. J. Neurosci., 39: 1009-1017, 2014.
- Nikulina EM, Johnston C, Wang J and Hammer RP. Neurotrophins in the ventral tegmental area: role in social stress, mood disorders and drug abuse. Neuroscience, 282: 122-138, 2014.
- Johnston CE, Herschel DJ, Lasek AW, Hammer RP and Nikulina EM. Knockdown of ventral tegmental area mu-opioid receptors in rats prevents effects of social defeat stress: Implications for amphetamine cross-sensitization, social avoidance, weight regulation and expression of brain-derived neurotrophic factor. Neuropharmacology, 89: 325-334, 2014.
- Hoffman AN, Parga A, Paode P, Watterson LR, Nikulina EM, Hammer RP and Conrad CD. Chronic stress enhanced fear memories are associated with increased amygdala zif268 mRNA expression and are resistant to reconsolidation. Neurobiology of Learning and Memory, 120: 61-68, 2015.
- Wang J, Bastle RM, Bass CE, Hammer RP, Neisewander JL and Nikulina EM. Overexpression of BDNF in the ventral tegmental area enhances binge cocaine self-administration in rats exposed to repeated social defeat. Neuropharmacology, 109: 121-130.
For a complete listing of Dr. Hammer's publications, search PubMed.
Schizophrenia, stress, drug addiction