From the top of Humphreys Peak (Elevation 12,635′), former Med-Peds chief resident and Class of 2020 graduate Dr. Aaron Silver explains what he loves about our program (Part one and part two).
Retreats and Events
- Intern Retreat – The Med-Peds interns attend two separate retreats each year, one with the Internal Medicine program and one with the Pediatric program. Each of these events are held off campus and include time to reflect and share experiences, build relationships with colleagues and reenergize by enjoying the outdoors.
- PGY2 Retreat – Retreats are also organized in the second-year and emphasize the development of leadership and teaching skills, while also providing some time away from the hospital to have fun together.
- Senior Retreat – The retreat in the final year of training is focused on preparation for practice following residency and includes information about negotiating contracts, financial planning and disability insurance.
- Switch Parties – Occurring at the end of the first four-month block of the academic year, it allows everyone to spend time together in a fun atmosphere before the interns make their first switch from internal medicine to pediatrics or vice versa. It also allows time to celebrate our PGY2 residents progressing into their role as a supervising senior resident after 16 months of internship.
- Holiday Party – Med-Peds residents have the opportunity to attend holiday parties with the Pediatric Program, a separate black–tie event that includes all of the University of Arizona Residency Programs, as well as a Med-Peds Holiday Party that includes faculty, families and a “white elephant” gift exchange.
- Graduation – The Med-Peds residents have a separate graduation dinner and are recognized at the annual graduation events for the Phoenix Children’s Hospital Pediatric Program Graduation and the University of Arizona Internal Medicine Program Graduation.