Barrow Neurological Institute
- Anna Burke, MD – Dr. Burke has led numerous clinical trials of investigational drugs, neuromodulation, environmental modifications, prevention methods and novel neuroimaging techniques for cognitively impaired patients with neurodegenerative disorders.
- Jeremy Shefner, MD, PhD – Dr. Shefner’s research focuses on biomarker development and the clinical therapeutics of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) and spinal muscular atrophy. He co-founded the Northeast ALS Clinical Trials Consortium (NEALS), the largest and most active consortium in the world dedicated to ALS. He continues to direct the NEALS outcomes and clinical monitoring cores and is currently the principal investigator for two multi-center clinical trials, as well as a biomarker study evaluating the effectiveness of electrical impedance myography in measuring ALS disease progression.
- Holly Shill, MD – Dr. Shill’s research studies include risk factors for the development and progression of Parkinson’s Disease, as well as innovative treatments for it. She also studies pathogenesis of essential tremor.
- Ryan R. Walsh – Dr. Walsh’s research interests include cognitive impairment and neuro-imaging in Parkinson’s Disease. He is integral in conducting new trials and emerging neuro-imaging research studies.
- Michael F. Waters, MD, PhD – Dr. Waters’ research studies include genetic mechanisms of stroke, neuroprotection in stroke, multiple clinical trials investigating stroke treatments and neurogenetic mechanisms of neuroplasticity.
Banner Neuroscience Institute
- Steve Chung, MD – Dr. Chung’s research focuses on therapeutic intervention for patients with refractory epilepsy. He had led many national and international clinical trials, which provided key developments of several new treatment options for epilepsy patients. One of his recent research projects includes rescue medications for acute repetitive or cluster seizures.
- Norman Wang, MD – Dr. Wang collaborates with Dr. Steve Chung in clinical trials for epilepsy patients who had failed currently available treatments. He is also the principal investigator for investigational immunotherapy for severely refractory patients.
- Douglas Franz, MD – Dr. Franz studies treatment in stroke patients. His main interest includes interventional therapy for acute stroke patients and neuronal protection for post-acute stroke patients.
- Hussam Seif Eddeine, MD – Dr. Seif Eddeine conducts research with the epilepsy team. His main interest in epilepsy is treatment for patients with juvenile myoclonic epilepsy.