The University of Arizona College of Medicine – Phoenix strives toward Inclusive Excellence, the intentional driver of diversity and inclusion that harnesses the differences, talents and unique qualities of all individuals at the College of Medicine – Phoenix. This is accomplished by engaging in individual and system-level practices that advance diversity and inclusion in all that we do. To that end, Inclusive Excellence Champions are faculty members appointed by department chairs, institute directors and center directors to be ambassadors for the Office of Diversity and Inclusion to advance Inclusive Excellence initiatives.
The goals of this initiative are to:
- Improve diversity and inclusion within UA College of Medicine – Phoenix departments, institutes and centers, such that we are exemplars of Inclusive Excellence in all that we do.
- Improve the culture and climate within UA College of Medicine – Phoenix departments, institutes and centers, such that all individuals’ differences, unique qualities and talents are valued and celebrated to promote career development and success.
- Improve clinical care, education and research within UA College of Medicine – Phoenix departments, institutes and centers, such that Inclusive Excellence resonates across our tripartite missions.
Inclusive Excellence Champions are charged with the following:
- Act as Inclusive Excellence Champions to help identify, facilitate and execute diversity and inclusion topics or initiatives related to clinical care, education, research or departmental culture and climate.
- Attend quarterly meetings with the Office of Diversity and Inclusion and other Inclusive Excellence Champions.
- Meet bi-annually with department chairs, institute directors and center directors to discuss diversity and inclusion planning, establish diversity and inclusion priority areas and set goals to later be achieved.
- Share Inclusive Excellence best practices with department chairs, institute directors and center directors.