Diagnostic Radiology Interest Group
The Diagnostic Radiology Interest Group at the College of Medicine – Phoenix exposes students to the field of diagnostic radiology. Mary Connell, MD, chief of ultrasound and pediatric radiology at District Medical Group at Maricopa Medical Center, is the faculty advisor.
The group usually meets monthly at the college. They host a variety of events, including lunch presentations by radiologists, hands-on workshop experiences, shadowing and more. Sukhi Khurana and Dane Alzate are the student leaders.
Interventional Radiology Interest Group
The Interventional Radiology Interest Group at the college has been in existence for four years. The faculty advisor is Eric vanSonnenberg, MD, a professor in the Department of Radiology. This year's student leaders are Diep Nguyen and Julia Tran.
The group usually meets monthly with a variety of programs and opportunities for students at the medical school. The goal of this interest group is to expose students to the world of interventional radiology. This is accomplished by:
- Monthly medical school and outside speakers.
- Demonstrations of procedures.
- Introducing students to common interventional radiology instruments.
- Simulation experiences in the college's Center for Simulation and Innovation.
- Discussions on the types of interventional radiology and how it relates to diagnostic radiology.
- Residency applications.
- Opportunities to participate in research projects.
Lunch meetings for this group are also usually held monthly.