Candidates interested in the Sleep Medicine Fellowship may apply through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS). Selections are announced as part of the National Residency Matching Program (NRMP) Fellowship Match in October.
Please note: Applicants must apply through ERAS and register for participation in the match through the NRMP Fellowship Specialties Matching Service.
Qualifications for Admission
- The successful completion of a three-year, ACGME-accredited residency.
- U.S. Citizenship, valid residency or J-1 visa.
- This fellowship program is unable to accept candidates with H1B visas at this time.
- Graduates of foreign medical schools must have a standard Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) Certificate.
- All accepted candidates must obtain an Arizona postgraduate training permit (see "Licensure") from the Arizona Medical Board.
- Our program number: 5200314003.
- Number of fellows per year: Two.
- Length of fellowship: One year.
- Personal statement.
- Three letters of reference.
- USMLE or COMLEX scores.
- ECFMG certificate (see “International Medical Graduates,” below).
- Medical school transcript.
- Certificate of completion — or good standing in — for an ACGME-accredited residency.
International Medical Graduates
International Medical Graduates are welcome to apply to the program. In addition to the above requirements, they must have passed the FMGEMS exam and have a standard ECFMG Certificate.
Fellows must either have U.S. Citizenship, valid U.S. residency or a J-1 visa. This fellowship program is unable to accept candidates with H1B visas.
Timeline and Deadlines
The ERAS and NRMP websites have information for fellowship application and match registration deadlines. It is generally recommended applicants begin gathering their application materials in January in order to be ready to apply by June or July. It is highly recommended you have taken “Step III” (pre-boards residency exam).
ERAS begins transmitting applications to the fellowship programs in early to mid-July. It is highly recommended that your application be completed and submitted by this point. The application review process starts the last week of July and goes through the month of August.
Interview offers go out shortly after the review process. Interviews occur over a 6-8 week period starting the last week of August and extend through the last week of *September. Rank lists are due in mid-October and the match announcement is in late October.
A fellow accepts appointment as a clinical assistant in the program. It is understood that appointments at the UA College of Medicine – Phoenix are year-to-year and are subject to annual renewal — pursuant to Chapter 4, University Handbook for Appointed Personnel and the Arizona Board of Regents Policy Manual, 6-301, et seq.
*This may vary depending on the application deadlines for ERAS and NRMP.
*Please note: For the 2021–2022 application season, there will be no in-person interviews due to the current COVID-19 pandemic. All Sleep Medicine Fellowship interviews will take place in a virtual format.