The College of Medicine – Phoenix Graduate Student Travel Award is designed to assist graduate students attending and presenting their research at scientific meetings (with preference given to those attending national/international meetings). Applications for funding are accepted twice a year in September and February; deadlines will be announced by the Graduate Training Office. Awardees are chosen on the basis of the scientific merit of their abstract, a letter of nomination from their Principal Investigator or advisor and their statement of research and career goals.
- The applicant must be enrolled as a graduate student at a public University in Arizona and be working with a Principal Investigator at the College of Medicine – Phoenix.
- The applicant must be the first author of an abstract to be presented, and the abstract must be of the highest scientific merit as evaluated by the Travel Award Committee.
- The conference to be attended must take place before April for September submissions and before October for February submissions.
- Students will be reimbursed up to the total amount of the award upon submission of itemized receipts for meeting registration, travel, housing and/or per diem expenses.
Applications will be submitted via email to Katharine Gonzales and will include:
- A cover letter signed by the applicant stating the purpose and amount of the request (up to $750). The award may be used for domestic or international travel.
- A copy of the program announcement for the conference to be attended.
- A copy of the abstract to be presented.
- A copy of the applicant’s CV, including education, honors/awards and publications.
- A letter of recommendation from the applicant’s Principal Investigator or advisor.
- A description of the applicant’s research and career goals, and how the proposed travel will facilitate these goals (no more than one page).
Prior Awardees and Meetings Attended
|Society for Neuroscience||San Diego, California||November 2016|
|Megan Turnidge||American Association for Cancer Research||Washington, D.C.||April 2017|
|Nicholas Brookhouser||International Society for Stem Cell Research||Boston, Massachusetts||June 2017|
||International Congress on Mucosal Immunology||Washington, D.C.||July 2017|
||Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory||Cold Spring Harbor, New York||August 2017|
|Kimberly Meyers||Society for Neuroscience||Washington, D.C.||November 2017|
|Megan Rudolph||Society for Neuroscience||Washington, D.C.||November 2017|
|Jeffrey Hanna||Neurotrauma 2018||Toronto, Canada||August 2018|
|Katharine Giordano||Neurotrauma 2018||Toronto, Canada||August 2018|