A clinical associate professor of Child Health, Dr. Singh is the division chief of Plastic Surgery at PCH
Dr. Conway is the interim chair of the Department of Ophthalmology
A clinical assistant professor at the college, Dr. Franco leads the Division of Hospital Medicine at Banner – UMC Phoenix
Clinical associate professor at the college specializes in pulmonary medicine at Phoenix Children's Hospital
Dr. Grimaldi is a staff physician in the Division of Cardiovascular Intensive Care at Phoenix Children's Hospital
Dr. Ruha is a professor at the college, as well as the chair of Toxicology at Banner – UMC Phoenix
WIMS Month spotlights women who are advancing health care through their service as physicians, scientists and teachers
Group on Women in Medicine and Science (GWIMS):
- AAMC Gender Equity website.
- Gender Equity Statement.
- Understanding & Addressing Faculty Salary Equity.
- Promising Practices for Understanding and Addressing Salary Equity at U.S. Medical Schools (PDF).
- GWIMS Toolkits – A rich resource of professional development tools from the AAMC GWIMS.
- The Pandemic and the Female Academic.
- Why Do Women Make Such Good Leaders during COVID-19?
- How Millions of Women Became the Most Essential Workers in America.
- UN Secretary-General’s Policy Brief: The Impact Of COVID-19 On Women.
- COVID-19 Resources for VAWG Mitigation and Prevention, Self and Collective Care, Assistance and More.
- An Equity-Based Approach to Dealing with the COVID-19 Pandemic.
- Coronavirus Reveals Just How Deep Macho Stereotypes Run through Society.
- No Room of One's Own.
- Women Academics Seem to be Submitting Fewer Papers During Coronavirus.
- Trump Team Moves to Scrap Protections for LGBTQ Patients.
- Our Response to COVID-19 is Male-Centric.
- Virtual Event Recording – “Supporting Women Academics During COVID.”
Stories of Women Who Have Made Critical Coronavirus-Related Scientific Discoveries and Inventions:
- Dr. June Almeida first discovered a coronavirus in 1964 at her laboratory in St Thomas's Hospital in London.
- The COVID-19 Dashboard at Johns Hopkins was launched by Lauren Gardner, a civil and systems engineering professor.
- The inventor whose discoveries while working at 3M led to development of the N95 mask was a woman, Sara Little Turnbull.
Gender Inequities During COVID-19:
- Collateral Damage: How COVID-19 is Adversely Impacting Women Physicians. Journal of Hospital Medicine. 2020 Aug;15(8):507.
- Vincent-Lamarre P, Sugimoto CR, Larivière V. The Decline of Women's Research Production during the Coronavirus Pandemic. Nature Index. 19 May 2020.
- Cardel MI, Dean N, Montoya-Williams D. Preventing a Secondary Epidemic of Lost Early Career Scientists. Effects of COVID-19 Pandemic on Women with Children. Annals of the American Thoracic Society. 2020 Nov;17(11):1366-70.
- Narayana S, Roy B, Merriam S, Yecies E, Lee RS, Mitchell JL, Gottlieb AS. Minding the Gap: Organizational Strategies to Promote Gender Equity in Academic Medicine during the COVID-19 Pandemic. Journal of General Internal Medicine. 2020 Dec;35(12):3681-4.
- Miller KA, Mannix R, Schmitz G, Monuteaux MC, Lee LK. Impact of COVID-19 on Professional and Personal Responsibilities of Massachusetts Physicians. The American Journal of Emergency Medicine. 2020 Nov 1;38(11):2365-7.
- Kibbe MR. Consequences of the COVID-19 Pandemic on Manuscript Submissions by Women. JAMA Surgery. 2020 Sep 1;155(9):803-4.
- Cevik M, Haque SA, Manne-Goehler J, Kuppalli K, Sax PE, Majumder MS, Orkin C. Gender Disparities in COVID-19 Clinical Trial Leadership. Clinical Microbiology and Infection. 2021 Jan.
- March 9 – The Moment of Lift: How Empowering Women Changes the World by Melinda Gates.
- June 23 – A Woman of No Importance: The Untold Story of the American Spy Who Helped Win World War.
- AAMC – Now More than Ever, Academic Medicine Needs to Promote Talented Women.
- New England Journal of Medicine (EJM) November 2020 article – “Women Physicians and Promotion in Academic Medicine.”
- Balmer DF, Courts KA, Dougherty B, Tuton LW, Abbuhl S, Hirshfield LE. Applying the Theory of Gendered Organizations to the Lived Experience of Women with Established Careers in Academic Medicine. Teaching and Learning in Medicine. 2020 May 26:1-0.
- Alvarez SN, Jagsi R, Abbuhl SB, Lee CJ, Myers ER. Promoting gender equity in grant making: what can a funder do? The Lancet. 2019 Feb 9;393(10171):e9-11.