Our centers provide multidisciplinary care for acute concussion and nonsurgical orthopaedic injuries, with a focus in care of and rehabilitation for the injured athlete. Within our centers, patients will receive initial sports medicine or concussion evaluations by board-certified sports medicine physicians and have access to additional specialty and rehabilitative services for individualized care. These include:
- Vestibular therapy performed by physical therapists.
- Visual exam and corrective lenses performed by a neuro-optometrist.
- Functional vision training performed by an occupational therapist.
- Cognitive assessments performed by a neuropsychologist.
- Exertional programs developed and monitored by athletic trainers.
The Sports Concussion Center at Banner – University Medical Center Phoenix is among only a few in the nation to house all services and rehabilitative therapies under one roof, allowing for exceptional coordination of patient care. The center also offers a comprehensive baseline testing program to better understand an athlete’s preinjury function and educate the public surrounding concussion.
The Division of Concussion and Sports Medicine at Banner – University Medical Center Phoenix consists of:
- Banner Sports Medicine and Concussion Specialists, a multidisciplinary concussion center that treats thousands of athletes with sports-related concussions each year, which is supported by vestibular therapists, a neuro optometrist, an occupational therapist specializing in functional visual retraining, a neuropsychologist, a neurologist who specializes in traumatic brain injury and several athletic trainers.
- The Sports Medicine Center — housed within Banner Orthopedic and Sports Medicine Institute — which provides non-operative orthopedic and sports medicine care for a wide variety of athletes and partners with multiple orthopedic specialists, imaging facilities and physical therapists to ensure that every athlete receives the individualized specialty care they deserve.