Mid-Point Progress Report
Identify specific areas of focus for clinical research that are strategically aligned with clinical partners, regional and state needs and available resources.
- R1a. Execute High-Quality Clinical Research:
- Progress – We have hired a person at Banner to capture and record data; established the Center for Clinical Research Excellence and Educational Development (CREED); organized an annual report on clinical trials; supported the development of a master's degree in Clinical Research; developed criteria to enable community partners to serve as principal investigators.
- Next Steps – Operationalize CREED.
- R1b. Accelerate Clinical Research Using Large-Scale Data Sets:
- Progress – We have hired a person at Banner to capture and record data; the VA research space in the Biomedical Sciences Partnership Building is now operational; overall publications have increased 30 percent this past year; and collaboration on a project with Yuma is underway.
- Next Steps – Share existing researchers to use and refine processes; monitor outcomes.
- R1c. Enhance Integration with University Initiatives:
- Progress – Inventory of collaborative programs has been completed.
- Next Steps – Establish an Integration Committee; and monitor all collaborative programs.
Develop strategies for achieving distinction in targeted areas of translational research that link scientific discovery to high priority clinical programs.
- R2a. Target Areas of Priority with New Departments and Programs:
- Progress – The college established the Translational Cardiovascular Research Center (TCRC); hired a new chair of Psychiatry, who is developing a mental health research agenda; began a search for chair of the new Department of Translational Neurosciences; hired a new chair of the Department of Child Health and began a search for director of a Child Health Research Institute; and started conducting interdisciplinary oncology on the programmatic level.
- Next Steps – Monitor all program development.
Establish research metrics and dashboards to ensure sustainability and success of research.
- R3a. Define Processes:
- Progress – Benchmarks have been defined and a dashboard has been developed; engaging in work with the Research Senate.
- Next Steps – Finalize incentive plan with the Guy Reed, MD, MS, dean of the College of Medicine – Phoenix.
Encourage a spirit of entrepreneurialism to foster research translation at the College of Medicine – Phoenix through the development of new products, algorithms, health technology and spin-off companies.
- R4a/b. Commercialize Research and Translate Discoveries:
- Progress – Dean Reed has met with Frederic Zenhausern, PhD, MBA, multiple times to finalize timelines and strategies; the Flinn Foundation has shown interest to support the college's efforts.
- Next Steps – Department chairs to identify participants in planning process; and mini-planning exercise to be conducted in Spring 2022.