Banner – University Medical Center Phoenix
Banner – University Medical Center Phoenix, formerly Banner Good Samaritan Medical Center, is located just north of downtown Phoenix and is where the majority of our rotations occur. It is the flagship academic medical center and tertiary referral center for the Banner Health system as well as an ACS-verified level one trauma center. We rotate on the following services:
- Bariatric Surgery – PGY2/3 and NP/PA.
- Breast Surgery – PGY2/3 and NP/PA.
- Cardiothoracic Surgery – PGY4.
- Colorectal Surgery – PGY1, PGY2 and PGY5.
- Elective/Minimally Invasive General Surgery (A service) – PGY1, PGY3 and PGY5.
- Endocrine Surgery – PGY1, PGY5 and NP/PA.
- Night Float/Trauma and Emergency Surgery Service – PGY1, PGY3 and PGY5.
- Plastic Surgery – PGY1.
- Surgical Intensive Care Unit – PGY1, PGY2 and NP.
- Transplant/Hepatobiliary Surgery – PGY1, PGY3, PGY5 and NP/PA.
- Trauma and Emergency Surgery Service (TESS) – PGY1, PGY2, PGY4 and NP/PA.
- Vascular Surgery – PGY1 and PGY4.
Phoenix Veteran's Administration Health Care Center
The Phoenix VA Medical Center is located 2.7 miles from Banner – UMC Phoenix and provides acute and chronic surgical care to the more than 320,000 veterans who reside in the facility's primary service area. We are the primary general surgery residency in Phoenix that rotates at the VA. Rotations at this site include:
- General Surgery – PGY1, PGY2, PGY3 (Mayo Clinic) and PGY5.
- Head and Neck/ENT Surgery – PGY1 and PGY4.
- Vascular Surgery – PGY1 and PGY4 (St. Joseph’s).
Banner Gateway Medical Center
Banner Gateway Medical Center is located in Gilbert, AZ, 24.2 miles from Banner – UMC Phoenix. It is the site of Banner MD Anderson Cancer Center, where we rotate with the multi-specialty surgical oncologists. This is a new site rotation as of 2021.
- Surgical Oncology – PGY1, PGY4 and NP/PA.
Banner Desert Medical Center
Banner Desert Medical Center is a 595-bed hospital in Mesa, AZ, 15.6 miles from Banner – UMC Phoenix. It is the busiest emergency department in Arizona and has one of the busiest inpatient and outpatient surgery volumes in the state. The excellent general surgery part-time faculty provide a wide and abundant volume of surgical cases in a community setting for the residents.
- Emergency General Surgery – PGY1.
- Private Practice General Surgery – PGY3 and PGY5.
Cardon Children's Medical Center
Cardon Children's Medical Center is located at Banner Desert Medical Center in Mesa, AZ. Specialties at Cardon's encompass primary and chronic care, emergency and trauma services, as well as elective and acute care surgery. We get to see the full spectrum of pediatric surgical pathology as we rotate with each faculty surgeon in an apprenticeship style model during this rotation.
- Pediatric Surgery – PGY3 and NP/PA.
Alaska Native Medical Center
The Alaska Native Medical Center is located in Anchorage, AK, and is the primary referral center for surgical care for all Native Alaskans across the state. It is one of only three ACS level II trauma centers in the state. This rotation provides a unique experience in caring for this population, who often travel long distances to receive their care. Travel and housing expenses are supported for each house officer to work with a dedicated group of volunteer faculty surgeons, who provide inpatient and outpatient services.
- Rural General Surgery/Trauma – PGY2, PGY3, PGY4 and NP/PA.