Financial Aid FAQs

Who is eligible for financial aid?

To be eligible for financial aid, you must:

  • Be a U.S. citizen or hold an Alien Registration Card (permanent resident card).
  • Be in good academic standing once in school, and making satisfactory progress toward a degree.
  • Have a valid Social Security number.
  • Have not previously defaulted on a federal student loan or owe a refund on a federal grant.
  • Use federal student aid only for educational purposes.
  • Be registered with the Selective Service (if required).
  • Be enrolled at least half-time as a student working toward a degree.
What are the steps to obtain financial aid?

To be considered for financial aid each student must complete a FAFSA, which is available online at The FAFSA can be completed beginning October the year before you plan to attend the University of Arizona. The College of Medicine – Phoenix priority filing date for grant consideration is March 1. The school code for the UA is 001083.

Are there scholarships available?
What educational loan programs are available?
What is financial literacy?
Are there any financial tips for preparing for medical school?

See our Financial Tips

Who should I contact about Veterans Affairs (VA) Benefits?

Benefits are coordinated through the Veterans' Services Office. Students should contact the office directly at 520-621-9501.

Do I have to file a FAFSA?

To receive federal loan funding and be considered for UA scholarship assistance, a student must file a FAFSA. If a student intends to pay for all educational expenses from personal or family resources only, a FAFSA is not required.

Do I have to file a FAFSA each year I am enrolled?

Yes, students must re-file for each year in which they expect to apply for federal loans or UA scholarships.

Do I need to include my parent's information on my FAFSA?

No, parental information is not required by the UA College of Medicine - Phoenix.

What if I expect to receive aid from other resources outside of the university?

Please notify the Financial Aid Office at The Financial Aid Office will review your outside aid and determine if any adjustments need to be made to your existing awards.

What if I have applied for a private education loan?

You must complete the Private Education Loan Applicant Self-Certification form (PDF) and return it to the College of Medicine – Phoenix Financial Aid Office for processing.

What is the maximum loan amount I can borrow for the academic year?

The total amount of financial aid cannot exceed your cost of attendance for each academic year.

What is your Satisfactory Academic Progress policy?