September – December 2017
- Assessed local resources, expertise, optimal timing, budgeting and opportunities for undertaking the strategic plan.
- Established steering committee to guide and organize process.
- Assessed the current state of the College of Medicine – Phoenix with an external market assessment and internal appraisal.
- Held targeted interviews with 55 leaders and stakeholders to gain insights into priorities, goals and opportunities with our primary academic medical center partner (Banner – University Medical Center Phoenix), the University of Arizona Health Sciences (Colleges of Nursing, Public Health, Pharmacy and Medicine – Tucson), University of Arizona, as well as other clinical teaching affiliates.
- Completed a collaborative design session with the project steering committee members and extended academic leadership to discuss the strategic planning findings from stakeholders.
- Identified high-level capabilities, gaps and required investments.
- Refined mission and vision of the College of Medicine – Phoenix and articulated preliminary strategic goals and associated outcomes.
- Surveyed all faculty and staff for broad, additional input.
- Discussed mission, vision and strategy with faculty and staff during a Dean's Hour meeting.
May – July 2018
- Refined the strategic vision, goals and associated outcomes in steering committee and Dean's Executive Leadership Committee meetings.
- Developed high-level implementation and communication plan, which began with sharing the executive summary with affiliates, faculty, students and staff to gather additional feedback and elevate engagement.
August – October 2018
- Designated leads for each strategic initiative and sub-initiative.
- Socialized the language of the strategic plan and gathered key stakeholders to complete a formal assessment of the strategic plan and developed a time-specific work plan with associated outcome measures.
November 2018 – April 2019
- Convened bi-weekly steering committee meetings in which initiatives and sub-initiatives were refined, teams were established and owners were defined.
May – July 2019
- Finalized strategic plan and published on website.
- Completed charters, milestones and implementation timelines submitted to steering committee by initiative and sub-initiative owners.
- Prioritized initiatives and sub-initiatives and developed an implementation schedule.
August 2019 – January 2020
- Charters reviewed by steering committee and feedback provided to owners and teams.
- Implementation of initiatives and sub-initiatives begins.
January 2020 and Ongoing
- Owners provide quarterly updates to steering committee on implementation progress.
- Steering committee provides regular communication to students, faculty, staff, affiliates and community partners about strategic plan progress.