Valley Research Partnership: A Research Collaboration and Training Program
Formerly the Research Development and Partnering Initiative
The Research Office administrates the Valley Research Partnership (VRP), which funds collaborative grants from VRP partner institutions across the Phoenix area, including the College and the VRP affiliates listed below. It provides an important funding stream for projects prior to seeking national funding both for trainees and for faculty investigators. It also provides an important mechanism for aspiring investigators to learn about proposal development and scientific review.
If you would like to be notified when the next request for proposals is released, please add your information to the VRP contact list.
There are three funding mechanisms for the Collaborative Research Program:
P1a Trainee Projects (maximum $10,000 over one or two years):
Proposals with an eligible faculty Principal Investigators (PI) and a metro Phoenix medical/graduate student or resident/fellow mentee.
P1b UArizona College of Medicine – Phoenix Medical Student Scholarly Projects (maximum $5,000 over one or two years):
Proposals with an eligible Scholarly Project Faculty Mentor and a UArizona College of Medicine – Phoenix medical student.
P2 Collaborative Projects (maximum $50,000 over one or two years):
Proposals with eligible faculty Principal Investigators (PI) from at least two different partnering institutions.
VRP Partner Institutions and Investigator Lists
Please refer to the lists of potentially eligible investigators below to confirm your eligibility.
- Dignity Health St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center (PDF).
- The University of Arizona College of Medicine - Phoenix (PDF).
- Valleywise Health (PDF).
- Banner – University Medical Center Phoenix (PDF).
- Phoenix Children's Hospital (PDF).
*Final eligibility is determined by each VRP partner institution. Please refer to the guidelines for more information or email VRP administration to confirm eligibility.
VRP Guidelines and Timeline
Round 5 Guidelines (PDF)
- Request for Proposals (RFP) issued December 20, 2019
- Eligible Investigator Waiver Requests must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. MST on February 17, 2020.
- P1a and P2 Applications must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. MST on March 2, 2020 (P1b Applications must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. MST on April 1, 2020) as a single searchable PDF to: PBC-VRPGrants@email.arizona.edu. The time of record will be the timestamp of the email submission. Late applications will not be accepted. Please email PBC-VRPGrants@email.arizona.edu if confirmation of receipt is not received within 48 hours.
- Peer Review – Spring 2020.
- Executive Review & Joint Funding Committee Decisions – Spring 2020.
- Earliest anticipated awards – July 1, 2020.
Forms and Templates
Please refer to the guidelines for eligibility information and application requirements. Please use the required templates below when writing the proposal
- Cover Page (P1a and P2) (Word).
- Cover Page (P1b) (Word).
- Table of Contents (Word).
- Budget Request Form (Word).
- Biosketch Template (Word).
- Biosketch Sample (Word).
- Other Support Template (Word).
- Other Support Sample (Word).
- Responsible Conduct of Research Guidelines (if applicable) (PDF).
- Prospectus (P1b Scholarly Projects only) (Word).
Questions may be addressed to:
UArizona College of Medicine – Phoenix